ETL Testing – Tester Roles and Responsibility:
Always customer wants to move the data from one system to another system with high data quality, data integrity and reliability for every load. As a tester, we have a high responsibility of giving assurance for data quality, data integrity, and reliability in data load.
In functional, we do have proper requirements in place and we can see the data feeding and data fetching in the user interface. But not the same case in ETL, we may not have proper requirements also tester cannot get knowledge on all kinds of data combinations. We will end up in big issue if we miss out any data issue or calculation related field issues.
The responsibilities of ETL tester are same as functional tester except the way of thinking, test case designing and execution.
The key responsibilities are,
- Understanding requirement
- Raising clarifications
- Test plan preparation
- Test case preparation with SQL queries based on Technical design or mapping document
- Reviewing test cases and SQL queries
- Executing test cases
- Running ETL jobs
- Raising defects
- Active participant in defect triage call
- Tracking defects
- Updating and sharing regular status
- Giving signoff
- Preparing test closure document